History, Value and Environmental Policy
Avis - International pioneerIt's been more than 60 years since Warren E. Avis made the foundations of the world renowned car rental, which Avis is today. He was the first one to see the need and possibilities of connecting together car rental and flight trips of businessmen. His vision became a reality when the first rental location was opened in the Detroit flight terminal in 1946.
Since then, this little location has grown into 5.750 rental locations in over 165 countries. Eight of these locations are here in Iceland.
"We try harder"Avis offered one of the biggest ad agencies to make a suggestion for a campaign. Their answer was this: Give us 90 days to learn everything there is to learn about Avis, and then you will follow our suggestion 100%. The deal was made. At that time Avis was relatively small company with about 10% market share. A survey showed that Avis was no. 2 in market share. This was in 1962.
The main point of the campaign was that Avis was no. 2, and tried harder.
Shortly after the campaign started the customers came strolling. In only 4 years the market share went from 10% to 35%.
The question arose: what would Avis say if they became no. 1? The answer: nothing! It´s much more fun and challenging to be no. 2!
Today, "We try harder", creates a strong image and a connection between the staff and the customers.
Every day, Avis does its best to give customers the best service around - and always try harder!
Environmental PolicyALP hf. is a leading car rental company in Iceland and has the exclusive license for the brand Avis. ALP hf follows a responsible environmental policy and is constantly focusing on minimizing the negative environmental effects a car rental operation can have.
Alp hf intends to
- Fulfill laws and regulations and take the environment into account in the operation.
- Follow the ISO 14001 environmental management standard and constantly improve the effectiveness of the environmental system.
- Systematically educate and train the employees in order to use resources responsibly and minimize any negative environmental effects of the operation.
- Emphasize consideration for the country´s nature
- Choose environmentally friendly commodities and services
- Reduce emissions from the company´s fleet, increase the number of environmentally friendly cars.
- Sort the company´s waste